It is a chronic disease characterized by a inflammatory stiffening of the joints.
Common site :- Sacro-iliac joint
Causes :- Genetic marker HLA-B27 is responsible for this disease.
- Inflammation of synovial membrane known as synovitis
- Cartilage destruction
- Bone erosion
- Leads to fibrosis
- Bone fusion (ankyloses)
- Spine permanently stiff.
- Pain and stiffness of the lower back
- Pain worst at night
- Pain subsides after some exercise
- SLR TEST (straight leg raise)
- GAENSLEN’S TEST :-The hip and knee jonits of the opposite side are flexed to fix the pelvis , and the another side of hip joint is hyperextended over the edge of the table.This arises the pain.
- PUMP HANDLE TEST
This is a multi system disease, so that the other body organs may affect in severe cases.
- Cardiovascular system:- cardiomegaly, pericarditis
- Neurological:- signs of spinal cord compression
- Occular:- iritis
- X-RAY :- Bamboo spine, osteophyte
- ESR :- Elevated
- Haemoglobin :- anaemia
- HLA B-27 Positive
- Analgesics :- eg diclofenac
- NSAIDS(non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs )
Ayurvedic management :-
- There are many gugglu preparation which is anti inflammatory in nature. Like trayodashang gugglu , yograj gugglu etc
- Kati basti